Friday, November 9, 2012

DIY Peter pan Collar Necklace



ACCESSORY TREND: PETER PAN COLLAR NECKLACE

 
   This my version of the peter pan collar necklace

    If you want a tutorial on how to create your own collar necklace, check out this tutorial:



Materials:
  • Felt. I made my own because I’m cra-cra and it’s way softer than regular old felt (just wash an old sweater in hot water and stick it in the dryer,)
  • Sequins (I used shiny & matte silver, and gunmetal, but feel free to be more creative. Bright colors would look amazing!)
  • Rhinestone trim
  • Sparkly Button
  • Sharp Scissors
  • Chalk Pencil
  • Needle & Thread
  • Aleene’s Jewel It Glue
  • Glue Gun
More… after the jump!

Start by folding your felt in half and cutting out your collar. You may want to practice with a piece of paper. I took a dress with a peter pan collar and tried to copy it as closely as I can.
There you go… nice little collar! Trim the edges to make it perfect.
Using a glue gun, adhere the rhinestone trim to the top of the collar. Note: I have a general aversion to glue guns. In this case, you have to mold the trim to the collar… the glue gun is the easiest way to do it. Sewing would be tricky, and fabric/gem glue would dry funny. The glue gun is the best option. I recommend reinforcing it later with a few stitches.
Next, glue on your sequins! I wanted a scalloped effect, so I did little circles. (See below.) Aleene’s Jewel It is my favorite product for these types of projects. Unlike the glue gun, it is extremely effective. It lasts, even throughout washings, (do not wash this necklace!) dries clear, and remains flexible.
Finish your design and let it dry. Using your needle and thread, sew the sparkly button onto the center. This isn’t mandatory, but adds a nice touch.
Voila… so pretty!
To finish your necklace, use the glue gun to attach a long (about 2 feet) piece of satin ribbon. You want a long piece so that you can tie a nice big bow in the back.
And here you have it… the finished product! This ones a statement maker. I tested it out all day yesterday and received so many compliments!
     Courtesy of www.stripesandsequins.com
 

 








No comments:

Post a Comment